BACK TO TOP
Coffee, Bacon and Date Scones
- 115 g frozen butter grated and then frozen again
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- 200 g dates sliced or chopped not too fine
- 4 tbsp of finely ground coffee.
- Choose any of our coffee beans for this recipe, which all work well with excellent results
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 200 g cooked bacon chopped
- Heat the ¾ cup of milk.
- Add sugar and then add the ground coffee.
- Heat over low heat, covered, and let the coffee infuse for about 10 minutes.
- While still warm, add to the sliced dates and let them sit together until the dates absorb most of the milk/coffee mix.
- Mix the baking powder, salt, and flour together and sift it twice.
- This is to make sure it mixes thoroughly and lightens up the flour mix.
Add the grated frozen butter and rub it in lightly using your fingers. (You don’t want the butter to completely break down and integrate into the flour).
- Add the soaked dates and bacon and gently mix through using a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Add the ½ cup of milk and mix only until it comes together.
- If the mix seems too dry add another 1 or 2 tbsps of milk.
- Turn out the dough onto a well floured surface, and fold it over to get a mass of dough that sticks together.
- Fold it over two more times, gently, being careful not to over handle the dough. Use floured hands to make it less sticky.
- Pat the dough out lightly to a rectangle that is about 1.5 inches in thickness. Flour the surface of the dough.
- Cut the scone dough into 6-8 pieces.
- It is important to use a clean sharp knife for each cut.
- This will ensure that the scones rise properly.
- Place the scones in the fridge to rest.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F / 200°C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper, and take the scones out of the fridge.
- Place the scones on the baking tray and brush the top with some milk.
- If you prefer scones with soft sides, place the scones right next to each other with the sides touching.
- If you like crusted sides, separate the scones with some space in between.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and let them cool slightly before serving.
- Serve with some butter.